The First Step
Hope begins with knowing Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour.
It is possible to have a complete assurance that you are going to heaven. The Bible says,
I John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
What must you do to know you are going to heaven?
1. You are a sinner and do not deserve to go to heaven.
Rom. 3:10 “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”
Rom. 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
2. The only way to pay for your sins yourself is by spending eternity in hell.
Rom. 6:23a “For the wages of sin is death…”
Rev. 20:14 “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”
3. You cannot do anything good enough to earn your way to heaven.
Titus 3:5a “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us…”
Eph 2:8-9 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
4. Believe Jesus died to pay the price for your sins.
Rom. 5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
5. Believe that Jesus not only died but rose again from the dead.
1 Cor. 15:3-4 “For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
6. Know that Jesus freely offers forgiveness for your sins.
Rom. 6:23b “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
7. Repent and turn from your sin to Christ.
Acts 3:19a “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out…”
8. Accept the free gift of salvation by believing in your heart that Jesus paid for your sins, and confessing Him with your mouth.
Rom. 10:9-10 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”